Thursday, January 10, 2008

NSFW copied with laziness

I usually copy from here to my office blog ( lazy, I know) but I have been on a no blog mood all along this year. So before this blog dies, let me be shameless and copy from my office blog and paste here:

If we take the term NSFW and turn it around, here are some things which severely limited my capability to be productive during my free time last year. They are extremely addictive, and not safe not just for work, but for any activity which does not involve sitting in front of an internet access point. They hypnotize you into clicking over and over without even once getting up and looking at the real world. I have intentionally not linked to any of them here as I don't want to be responsible for your life being spent on them.

LOLCats:

Extremely potent. What starts as a harmless click hypnotizes you into mindless hours browsing pictures of bored looking and extremely fat cats wearing bright items of clothing.

LOLDogs:

Very similar to LOLCats - except that these are dogs - and they look adorable and more stupid in their tutus.

Webcomics:

The humor varies - from cartoons on engineers to angels to more engineers and robots, its all out there. Most of them are to be read from the beginning, and spans over many years, not unlike an Indian prime time soap ( but on a much smaller scale).

Facebook vampires:

I have no idea why I wanted to spend time spamming my friends ( yes, I admit it, I spamed you, and I am sorry! )so that a website will rate me better. And to think I laughed at the voters for Indian Idol...

Online games:

Not of the age of empires variety. This is more of the chess, tetris and pacman variety. I had spent better part of my holidays sitting home and playing online.

British humor sites:

These are not the click here for a joke sites. They specialize in irony; and have umpteen photoshop contests which ask you to create spoof ads, spoof fairytale book covers.... well spoof everything. And there are sites which take photoshoping to an art form.I have given up lolcats and loldogs and am abstaining from online games. I uninstalled facebook vampires and pretty much all applications which I found addictive - and which involved spamming.

I still go to spoof sites and webcomics once in two weeks. I am now into reading blogs - from that of teachers to doctors to HR professionals to marketers to lawyers - and I guess some months down the line, I will have to go to my delicious page and untag all of them.

But till then, I browse.

And yes, I know the title was very misleading. :-)

Whew! And thus begins 2008. Hopefully I will be more regular. Hey, I said hopefully!

No comments: